Sunday 20 November 2011

Oxygen tank capacity

Assalamualaikum,
Today;s posting is in English.
As preparation for Hafizah's wedding, I have done 2 things to enable me & family to attend this wedding, and after that, back-to-back appointments at different sections at HKB that occupy the whole day on 5th December.
Actions taken are:
1) Buy another tank (back-up tank)
2) Conduct trial run for tank capacity
Why all this? Well, all these are needed since HKB has directly told me that the oxygen concentrator machine is not designed for travelling. So, no more bringing back oxygen concentrator for weekend balik kampung trips.
Last weekend, in addition to purchasing back-up oxygen tank (RM300 in deposit, fully refundable once the tank is returned back to Gas Pantai Timur), I've done tank capacity trial to simulate the 2 events stated at start of this blog posting.
Why the trial? Contradictions in statement between oxygen provider (Gas Pantai Timur) and HKB. Gas Pantai Timur says a 5-liter tank can last for 8 hours while HKB says it is longer thank that (but HKB dont know how long. They never keep track but they feel that the figure is not right).
All this while, a full tank can last for 3 visits to HKB (weekly appointments), or about 6 hours. Last week was my thrid re-fill at Gas Pantai Timur.
So, to satisfy my curiosity, last Saturday, after refilling the tank, I went back to Tiong (together with Ain, Afiq and Kimi lah). We depart from Kemumin at 9.30 and arrive at Tiong at 10.00am (no traffic that day, usually close to 1 hour because I drive slowly, below 60kph). After 'parking' Afiq at Tiong, I went about my business, going to HKB to get medical supplies, went to Salor to see Ma, etc.
Normally, 6 hours of usage will see the indicator at "Refill". But on this occasion, at 4.30pm, when we are packing things into car to go home, the indicator is still at half full. So, after we got back to Kemumin, I decided to continue using oxygen from tank instead of oxygen concentrator machine to see how much longer it can last.
The result: nearly 11 hours of usage.
Anyway, I noticed 2 things different for this tank compared to other tanks used previously.
a) This tank was not filled in a hurry. I gave the company 3 days to fill it, compared to 30 mins for other tanks
b) Minimum travelling during use of this tank (about 1 hour of travelling), compared to almost all time for travelling (~ 6 hours) for other tanks.
That's the parameter we are going to use during the wedding. As for the back-up tank, we are going to test it too soon.
 
Wassalam.

3 comments: